Objectives and Solutions
In planning for over 15 years, Konjiam is a ski resort just outside of Seoul, South Korea. With a high-end golf course already in place, Konjiam has invested heavily in snowmaking to ensure that theirs is a leading winter resort.
SMI was selected for the project based on many factors, including our excellent planning team, global success, custom solutions, and our strong local partnership with R & R Corporation. Since snowmaking in Korea means marginal temperatures and high humidity, generating the best technical solution for the site was a significant challenge.
After installing the main pump house and a sophisticated water-cooling plant at the mountain’s base, a booster pump station was then utilized to feed the upper half. This provided the most energy-efficient solution for the long term while allowing for lower and safer working pressures.
Utilizing their many years of experience and knowledge, SMI was a key partner with the resort, saving the customer money by coordinating the many overlapping layers between snowmaking, water and power supply, trails, and communications.
- Pump stations added: Main pump house: Six 300 kW (400 HP) pumps, with water flow of 17,034 lpm (4,500 gpm)
- Booster pump station: Four 150 kW (200 HP) pumps with water flow: 11,356 lpm (3,000 gpm)
- Lake size: 140,000 m3 (37 million gallons)
- Level of Automation: SmartSnow controls snowmaking system and pump stations
- Communications: Fiber optic between pump houses; Hard wired between tower fans
- Snow Guns added: 62 Fully Automated Super Wizzard Towers
- 18 Manual Super Wizzard Carriages
- Hydrants added: 182